If you or someone you know is in need of a caring Christian who will listen, encourage and support you confidentially as you journey towards wholeness, then contact our church office to be connected with a Stephen Minister (317) 784-4431. Learn more about Stephen Ministry
Southport's community of believers wants you to feel that you are a part of our family. Becoming connected to a new family can be a bit overwhelming, so we have crafted fellowship opportunities to help you engage and feel at home.
- Women's Fellowship meets on the second Monday morning of the month at 9:30am for breakfast, Bible Study and outreach opportunities.
- First Tuesday Fellowship, for those ages 50 and over, our time of fellowship includes a delicious meal, devotions and a program by community guests. Cost is $7 per person. Meeting begins at 11:15am.
- Easter Bunny Breakfast and Egg Huntis held each spring on the Saturday before Easter.
This is a small sampling of the opportunities available for you to meet and get to know other members of the SCC family. Be sure to check our calendar often for dates and times!
Children & Youth
Young people are an integral part of the ministry at SCC. Sunday School is offered each week at both services, as well as age appropriate activities and events throughout the year.
Disciples encourage one another in the spiritual disciplines or practices through which we open ourselves to be shaped by God. Those disciplines include prayer, Bible study, worship, stewardship, service, and study of the church's tradition and hospitality to strangers.
- Return of the 12 Twelve different Christian Education classes will be launched between February and August of this year. The topics are as broad as the imagination of our congregation. Check out the list >
- Seekers: Middle school youth have the opportunity to learn about what it means to be a member of SCC, a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and a member of the Christian faith. The Seekers class allows an atmosphere of questioning and discernment to prepare participants in their decision to be baptized.
- Disciples Education: Through a series of multiple programs, students learn disciplined Bible study with the goal of becoming leaders.
- Sunday School classes for pre-school through 12th grade are coordinated so all children learn the same lesson each week. Parents/guardians are sent resources to interact with the lesson during the week.
Serving from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth is not just a slogan at SCC, it is a way of life. Our congregation actively supports a wide range of community, national and global outreach ministries:
- Hunger, Inc.has served residents of Perry Township and Beech Grove since 1983 and it is our honor to stand along with them with regular food donations and volunteers. If you find yourself struggling to afford food, call Hunger, Inc. (317) 782-3321.
- SCC volunteers visit the Midwest Food Bank monthly to help repackage food for distribution to hundreds of partner agencies. Download the 2017 volunteer schedule
- Habitat for Humanity: SCC partners with GIDA (Greater Indianapolis Disciples Area) for yearly panel builds with other Disciples churches. Our members truly enjoy working right alongside of the owners knowing that the panels they fashion today will be come a safe, clean home for the family.
- Disciples of Christ Churches in Congo: For many years, SCC has had a direct financial impact on DOC churches in Congo by assisting with hurricane damage to purchasing a motorcycle for one of the Pastors to help him visit his congregation more often. SCC has also been active in helping refugees from Congo find housing, furniture and mentors. In April 2017, a group of immigrants from Congo began meeting for worship at SCC. In November 2017, 6 members of the Southport Congolese Disciples of Christ church were commissioned as Deacons. SCC is honored to be able to partner with them along their journey.
- Week of Compassion works through a remarkable network of church partner organizations and partnerships that insures that our response to humanitarian needs in the world is efficient, effective and faithful. Through these partnerships, Disciples are able to join a tapestry of caring that brings help and hope to hurting people in every corner of the world.
Musicians of all ages are welcome to participate. We have opportunities available for the young to the young at heart. Vocalists and instrumentalists will find many ways to praise God through music.
Our SCC Choir, Praise Team, Youth Choir, Handbells and Children's Choir rehearse mainly during September through May. Interested in learning more? Contact Karri York (email@example.com), Director of Music.
On Sunday, April 30th, our choir and band presented, "Gospel Mass" by Robert Ray. Listen