If you or someone you know
is in need of a caring Christian who will listen, encourage, pray and support you confidentially as you work towards a journey to wholeness, call (317) 784-4431 to be connected with a Stephen Ministry Leader. You do not need to be a member of Southport Christian Church to seek assistance from a Stephen Minister, and there is no cost.
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is:
- A member of Southport Christian Church who has received 50 hours of training on how to provide distinctively Christian care.
- A Stephen Minister is held to the same ethical standards required for ordained minister including the commitment to confidentiality.
- Someone who will faithfully meet with you on a weekly basis for as long as your need persists.
A Stephen Minister is not:
- A counselor or therapist.
- A problem-solver.
- Someone who runs errands or helps with chores.
Illustrations of Care
Following is a brief list of situations where a Stephen Minister was contacted for care:
- The death of a loved one.
- A hospitalization or recovery from a recent hospitalization.
- Feeling lonely or discouraged.
- Coping with a personal or family terminal illness or disability.
- Being unemployed or in a job crisis.
- Moving or relocating.
- Transitioning into retirement.
- Being a victim of a disaster or accident.